Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
#300 - Experimental - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALAMAZE (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Active Games (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: #300 - Experimental (/showthread.php?tid=9626)

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 11-25-2014

(11-25-2014, 05:09 PM)Hawk_ Wrote: Generally speaking I would think totally random PC locations would be the best system.

From a defensive standpoint if your pop centers ended up clumpy that would be a desirable out come. It would allow you to cover more of them with a group doing intercept.

Is there or should there be a constraint for maximum and/or minimum total region population including all PC types? Should this be increased if there are two capitols starting in the region?

There's no min/max census in a given region, just the number of cities/towns/villages generated for that region determines its final census. Having two or more capitals in the same region just bumps up the final census proportionally. If Java's random number generator doesn't work that well for us by clumping too many pc's together, I could add the logic to check if a pc is adjacent to the newly generated location and if so then re-roll for a more empty location but that's for the next game...

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 11-26-2014

This Friday is Turn 3's due date so try to get your orders in early due to the holiday.

Also, since turn 3 is usually the turn where emissaries are doing stuff, you may want to pay attention to the messages displayed on your turn describing their actions. Each sentence fragment has significance towards your emissary's action.

For example, you'll see the following types of messages for certain conditions (each with the appropriate bonuses/penalties being involved):

- (if pc is neutral/human controlled or default message): I CHOSE THE COMMON MAN APPROACH, SINCE THE PEOPLE OF 'REGION' WERE UNEMOTIONAL TOWARDS THE 'KINGDOM'.

- (if pc owner has control of the region): I TOOK A GAMBLE IN MOVING AHEAD WITH MY PLANS KNOWING THAT MY ASSIGNMENT WOULD BE MORE DIFFICULT BY THE 'KINGDOM'S CONTROL OF 'REGION'.

- (if pc owner has HATRED in the region): I CHOSE THE LIBERATOR APPROACH, SINCE THE PEOPLE OF 'REGION' SHOWED CLEAR DISDAIN TOWARDS THE 'KINGDOM'.

- (if pc owner is FRIENDLY in the region): I CHOSE MY FAVORITE INTELLECTUAL APPROACH, SINCE THE PEOPLE OF 'REGION' WERE FRIENDLY TOWARDS THE 'KINGDOM' REIGN.

- (if pc owner only has minor influence in region): I REALIZED MY UNDERTAKING WOULD BE EASED BY THE 'KINGDOM'S MINOR INFLUENCE IN 'REGION'.

- (if status quo is being done at the pc you're rebelling/usurping): I FOUND A MOTIVATED CORE OF RESISTANCE TO MY OVERTURES, IN SUPPORT OF THE LOCAL REGIME.

- (if no status quo): THERE SEEMED NO ACTIVE POLITICAL SUPPORT IN FAVOR OF THE GOVERNMENT.

And so on. Check the rulebook for the amount of bonuses/penalties involved with your emissary's success with the action.

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 11-26-2014

Also since this game started with a random season, turn 4 is the beginning of summer so the southern kingdoms (in particular, GI, RD, NO) may want to watch your food and not sell all of it this coming turn 3...

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 11-27-2014

Added the following end of 2nd Cycle changes to the code (you may issue these orders starting with your turn 3 orders):

Evasion (special order for some kingdoms)
• Order number 119
• Column A - group ID issuing order
• Column B - opposing group with which to avoid combat
• No combat will occur with the specified group (not considered as a retreat for either group)
• May only issue this order in the proper terrain for the kingdom
• Only valid for kingdoms that specify the special ability on their setups: Elves (forest), Dark Elves (forest, marsh), Dwarves (mountains), Swampmen (marsh), and Nomad (desert)

Entrenchment (available for all kingdoms)
• Order number 121
• Column A - group ID issuing order
• No other columns are to be filled
• Entrenchment provides protection against attack
• Entrenched groups fight at 90% defensive value
• Entrenched groups receive -5% morale loss (only during battles)
• Receive no defensive bonus (like a normal defend order 120)
• Retreat with the equivalent of TAC 2 (stand and defend)
• Typical usage: Issue an entrenchment order for your group if you are concerned of being attacked by an invisible/ambushing group in the turn. Surprised groups defend at 70% combat value while entrenched groups fight at 90%.

Both Evasion and Entrenchment are defensive orders so groups that are given such orders may not attack pop centers or unusual encounters nor may they rest or set an ambush (same rules as a normal defend order).

RE: #300 - Experimental - HeadHoncho - 11-27-2014

How does the "not considered as a retreat for either group" parenthetical for evasion harmonize with the last paragraph which does seem to consider evasion as a retreat? (I do think an evading group needs to be considered as retreating, personally.)

RE: #300 - Experimental - Jumpingfist - 11-28-2014

(11-27-2014, 11:08 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: How does the "not considered as a retreat for either group" parenthetical for evasion harmonize with the last paragraph which does seem to consider evasion as a retreat? (I do think an evading group needs to be considered as retreating, personally.)

I think when it says is not considered as a retreat for evasion it is meaning no retreat losses will be taken. It is still s defensive order so you can not attack afterwards.

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 11-28-2014

Turn 3 was sent out on time. Only one person missed their turn. Turn 4's orders are due Tues Dec 2 at noon EST.

Some interesting events took place on turn 3. Nearly had a sea patrol battle which would have been interesting to see the outcome since navies are still at their fairly low strength levels. Remember, you can supplement your naval forces with special abilities like Reinforced Hulls that last throughout the game once purchased. Info on the new order (# 630) is at: http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=9600&pid=24301#pid24301

To Acererak (Nomad player), before you send a note that the game software isn't working properly because a Giant group just appeared out of nowhere and attacked you on turn 3, I verified that the software and events are working properly in the game. You just fell into some really bad luck where the Giant player laid a trap for you in the game.

It's unusual in Exploratory mode for a Giant player to find a pc on turn 1, sit in ambush and hope that another would land on the exact same pc on turn 2, to surprise attack on turn 3 but that's exactly what happened. Your Nomad leaders/wizards weren't high enough to detect the ambushing group last turn so the Giant group remained hidden.

Being surprised in battle now has some really nasty negative effects: leaders are only 50%, troops fight at 70%, no defensive bonus, and triple retreat losses can end up being devastating for a group. It's better to issue the new Entrenchment order (# 121) if you suspect an invisible/ambushing group nearby. I re-ran the battle scenario with the Nomad group being entrenched and it ended up being a completely different outcome.

Since this is only a test game, I'll post the battle report below so others may see just how devastating being surprised is now in the game. Most of the Nomad's casualties came from having a bad die roll during the retreat phase (nearly the max) which was then tripled due to being surprised.

BATTLE BETWEEN THE 3RD GIANT DIVISION AND THE 1ST NOMAD SMALL ARMY IN THE PLAINS OF AREA WZ:

______GIANT__________________________________________NOMAD
CAPTAIN II FINEGHAL__________< COMMANDER >_________GENERAL I NOURA
______N/A__________________< RANKING WIZARD >______POWER-1 RAMHORN
6700 MEDIUM/HEAVY/GUARDS_____< INFANTRY >_________10300 LIGHT/MEDIUM/GUARDS
_______0______________________< CAVALRY >__________2100 LIGHT/MEDIUM
_____300 EXPERT_______________< ARCHERS >__________2600 SKIRM/BOWMEN/HORSE
_______1_______________< KINGDOM-NAMED BRIGADES >______5
______0/0_______________< RECRUIT/VETERAN BRIGADES >____0/1
____3 OGRES______________< OTHER BRIGADE TYPES >_______N/A
______N/A_____________________< OTHER >_____________GOOD LEADERS
_DETERMINED ATTACK_______< TACTICAL SELECTION >_______SURPRISED

JUST BEFORE DAWN THE GIANT DIVISION ADVANCED UPON THE NOMAD SMALL ARMY COMMANDED BY GENERAL NOURA. BEING SURPRISED BY THE SUDDEN ONSET OF BATTLE, THE DEFENDER'S LEADERS WERE UNORGANIZED IN ISSUING THEIR ORDERS AND THE TROOPS WERE GREATLY DEMORALIZED WHICH DIMINISHED THEIR DEFENSIVE CAPABILITIES. DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEIR NATION HAS MADE THE GIANT KNOWN AS HOSTILE TO THEIR KINGDOM, THE NOMAD TROOPS WERE INVIGORATED AND HAD THEIR MORALE RAISED AS THEY PREPARED TO MEET THEIR DECLARED ENEMY! AS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT GROUP OF THEIR HISTORY THE TROOPS ARE VISIBLY EMBOLDENED BY BEING UNDER THE FIRST NOMAD'S COLORS! AS THE ATTACKERS ADVANCED THROUGH THE PLAINS THE FIRST MISSILES SANG OUT. THE GIANT SKILLED ARCHERS INFLICTED LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE TO THEIR OPPONENTS LINES. THE NOMAD SKILLED ARCHERS INFLICTED LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE TO THEIR OPPONENTS LINES. THE NOMAD WIZARDS RAMHORN AND AKLAFAR DISMOUNTED PAST THE DEFENSIVE MISSLERS ON THE BATTLEFIELD. THE NOMAD RAMHORN (POWER-1) WAS NOT A FACTOR IN THE BATTLE. THE NOMAD AKLAFAR (ADEPT) WAS NOT A FACTOR IN THE BATTLE. THE GIANT ENLIGHTENED MAGES DEALT OUT LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE TO THEIR FOES AS THE NOMAD EMPHATIC MAGES CAUSED LITTLE OR NO LOSSES TO THE GIANT RANKS. BOLTING AHEAD TO MEET THE CAVALRY OF THEIR FOES WERE THE GIANT FORCE AND THE NOMAD CAVALRY. THE GIANT CAVALRY DEALT OUT LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE TO THE NOMAD LINES. AS THE NOMAD CAVALRY IMPOSED LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE TO THE GIANT RANKS. STALWART INFANTRY NOW CHARGED AHEAD. GIANT FORCES INFLICTED CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE WHILE NOMAD TROOPS DEALT MINOR DAMAGE. HOUR AFTER HOUR PASSED, YET NONE COULD TELL WHICH SIDE WOULD BE THE VICTOR SINCE BOTH FORCES WERE EVENLY MATCHED. DESPITE ALL THAT HAD PRECEEDED AT THIS MOMENT, THE BATTLE OUTCOME WAS STILL IN DOUBT. NOW ALL REMAINING TROOPS OF ALL TYPES HURLED THEMSELVES INTO THE THICK OF BATTLE TO SETTLE MATTERS IN DECISIVE FASHION. THE GIANT KINGDOM CAUSED AVERAGE DAMAGE WHILE THE NOMAD KINGDOM COUNTERED BACK BY INFLICTING LIGHT DAMAGE. NOMAD CASUALTIES HAD NOW EXCEEDED ACCEPTABLE LEVELS IN THE JUDGEMENT OF GENERAL NOURA SO HE ORDERED THE RETREAT BE SOUNDED. BEING SURPRISED BY THE BATTLE, THE DEFENDERS SUFFERED GREATER LOSSES DURING THEIR WITHDRAWAL. THE NOMAD LEADERS FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO EXIT THE FIELD EFFECTIVELY AND THE OPPOSING FORCES INFLICTED A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF CASUALTIES. GIANT CASULTIES WERE PUT AT 4,314 TROOPS. GIANT LEADER CAPTAIN II FINEGHAL WAS SLAIN IN BATTLE. A NEW LEADER, CAPTAIN BALIFOR HAS EMERGED AS A COURAGEOUS LEADER OF MUCH PROMISE. THE INDISPUTABLE NATURE OF THE GIANT FORCE'S VICTORY HAS GREATLY INCREASED MORALE. NOMAD CASULTIES WERE PUT AT 11,984 TROOPS. NOMAD LEADER GENERAL I NOURA WAS SLAIN IN BATTLE. NOMAD LEADER CAPTAIN II HAGALAZ WAS SLAIN IN BATTLE. NOMAD WIZARD POWER-1 RAMHORN WAS SLAIN IN BATTLE. NOMAD ADEPT AKLAFAR WAS SLAIN IN BATTLE. LOSSES SUFFERED IN THE EFFORT AND DEPRESSION OF DEFEAT HAVE GREATLY REDUCED THE NOMAD'S MORALE.

The reason why the battle was so deadly for the Nomad leaders/wizards was because the figure death calculation also factors in the percentage of damage that was inflicted upon the group. So the greater damage that your group takes in battle, the higher the chances that your group's figures will die as well.

RE: #300 - Experimental - The Broken - 11-28-2014

Reading this I would say the text for losses on the giant might be wrong. It appears Nomad in the archery and Calvary phase did do a lot of damage.

The GI losses 4,314 out of 6700. That is significant, however reading the text expects me to see almost no losses for the GI.

The Archers for the Nomad, are not trivial, they are quit effective.

I'm not suggesting the actual out come is wrong. I'm suggestion the combat text for losses might be off.

RE: #300 - Experimental - Hawk_ - 11-28-2014

Tough loss for the Nomad.

At least he is not a wizard kingdom that lost his best wizards.

What a wickedly clever strategy employed by the Giant!

RE: #300 - Experimental - Beatific - 11-28-2014

Angel Beginners luck.