Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
#300 - Experimental - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALAMAZE (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Active Games (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: #300 - Experimental (/showthread.php?tid=9626)

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 12-22-2014

For group vs group battle reports, the "Other" section uses these rules for the following phrases:

If group's morale is > 135%: Very High Morale
If group's morale is > 125%: High Morale
If group's morale is < 90%: Low Morale
If group's morale is < 75%: Very Low Morale
If group's attrition is > 35%: Very High Attrition
If group's attrition is > 25%: High Attrition
If group has a warlord or marshal: Exceptional Leaders
If group has a general: Good Leaders

The above chart will change once I get the official version for the game...

RE: #300 - Experimental - Acererak - 12-22-2014

I'm getting a bunch of odd errors in the Order Entry for turn 9. Not recognizing my groups, just a bunch of gobbledygook. I can't enter anything at this point.

RE: #300 - Experimental - Beatific - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:12 PM)Acererak Wrote: I'm getting a bunch of odd errors in the Order Entry for turn 9. Not recognizing my groups, just a bunch of gobbledygook. I can't enter anything at this point.

I have also been getting strange errors:  lack of recognition of earlier order entry, gobbledy gook, etc.  It seems to reset (at least for the two times I experienced it) if I shut down the orders entry and open it again (by logging in again).  I wasn't going to bring it up again since I had seen it earlier and posted a PM to UM in the AM and he convinced me that I must have entered the wrong turn number.  I experienced it again today, though, and will add my voice to that of Ace that something strange seems to be happening.  I can accept that, as a NooB, I might have been doing something wrong, but I did double check today that I had all the right info added.

(12-22-2014, 07:02 PM)Beatific Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:12 PM)Acererak Wrote: I'm getting a bunch of odd errors in the Order Entry for turn 9. Not recognizing my groups, just a bunch of gobbledygook. I can't enter anything at this point.

I have also been getting strange errors:  lack of recognition of earlier order entry, gobbledy gook, etc.  It seems to reset (at least for the two times I experienced it) if I shut down the orders entry and open it again (by logging in again).  I wasn't going to bring it up again since I had seen it earlier and posted a PM to UM in the AM and he convinced me that I must have entered the wrong turn number.  I experienced it again today, though, and will add my voice to that of Ace that something strange seems to be happening.  I can accept that, as a NooB, I might have been doing something wrong, but I did double check today that I had all the right info added.

For more info, read here...http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=9626&pid=25574#pid25574

RE: #300 - Experimental - VballMichael - 12-22-2014

(UN) Wow, I guess Rick was serious when he said Unusual Encounters would be harder. I have lost all of my leaders, have succeeded literally on about 10% of my encounters. I guess I will just have to wait for other folks to get the artifacts and then steal them.
But somebody might want to check the math on the encounters. Maybe it is right, but ouch it is tough.

Order checker can now read the new printout for game 300 but because it has to be backward compatible with the older software, I can't change the uppercase formatting of its orders. What this means is that if you create a new character with order 510, the name will be in all caps. Let me know of any problems...

RE: #300 - Experimental - Jumpingfist - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 08:35 PM)VballMichael Wrote: (UN) Wow, I guess Rick was serious when he said Unusual Encounters would be harder. I have lost all of my leaders, have succeeded literally on about 10% of my encounters. I guess I will just have to wait for other folks to get the artifacts and then steal them.
But somebody might want to check the math on the encounters. Maybe it is right, but ouch it is tough.

I went in with a marshal and captain II on a 3.  Failed the US encounter and lost the captain.   Normally a marshal is very significant in an encounter especially going in on a 3.  I have no problem loosing a captain but if the risk reward is not proportional these encounter will be come a thing of the past.   Odiously I have no data but hear about a lot of people loosing leaders.   With leaders so hard to gain levels is it worth a chance to loose them now on an encounter?   Seems making encounter harder and leaders harder to raise is a bad combo.  

RE: #300 - Experimental - Ry Vor - 12-22-2014

First, to reiterate, Uncle Mike has done everything in #300 independent of the official code.  Kind of scary and extremely remarkable.  And let me tell you, in a game like Alamaze, the easiest things to fix are values - its just changing the numbers.  The concepts are the important thing.

One thing I want to do with Alamaze is as I did with Fall of Rome and have unusual sightings bear a ranking, which in Fall of Rome was Fine, Excellent, or Superior.   Fine is the lower level, and the guardian corresponds.  So players know when they recon a sighting how tough it is likely to be.  

I always struggle a bit with how much to tell players about how the sausage is made.  I really should loosen up as the few people that know how much goes into order resolution are astonished.  (Remove clapping hand from back.)  I would say, where we are going, is you want about 12 leadership points to have a good chance in a Fine encounter, about 20 for an Excellent enccounter, and perhaps 30 for a Superior encounter, where you would likely find quest items.  BTW, we may go to 3 stages for the top superior artifacts in the next scenario and they likely will be significantly more powerful. 

Regarding unusual encounter results, the program is working as expected. I looked up several cases and nearly all are investigating encounters on TAC 3 with captains. Maybe this is due to it being a test game and no one cares if they lose stuff but throwing captains into an encounter on a 3 without any wizard support will kill off your guys.

For VballMichael, you're doing just what I described above. As the UN, you have weak leaders to start off with and then you're throwing your captains into encounters on TAC 3. That's why they're dying off so don't complain if they do. For JumpingFist, a marshal isn't anything special and is no more than just 15 pts. You can lose this guy even when you try to pick up an easy artifact like a Key. On TAC 3, you increase his chances of dying considerably.

If you don't want to lose your figures for a low grade artifact then use a priestess to divine what you should be investigating and taking risks with. Otherwise, you may be throwing your best leaders into an unknown encounter that may be far beyond your skill level to succeed or not worth the risk at all.

So it's not the program's fault but rather people's behavior in how they're handling their orders/events. I checked the die rolls and everything is working correctly. I can't go into specifics on death rates because I'm using the chart that Ry Vor gave me for end of 2nd Cycle changes that detail the percentages of promoting/death rates for battles/encounters.

But I can say that encounters for this game range anywhere from 25 pts to 150 pts depending upon the strength level of the artifact. Only free encounters (dimensional portals, pwr-2 wizard, red bats/pegasi) carry no risks to your figures but you may need to meet certain requirements in order to be successful with them...

RE: #300 - Experimental - kevindusi - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 10:05 PM)unclemike Wrote: But I can say that encounters for this game range anywhere from 25 pts to 150 pts depending upon the strength level of the artifact. Only free encounters (dimensional portals, pwr-2 wizard, red bats/pegasi) carry no risks to your figures but you may need to meet certain requirements in order to be successful with them...

150 points?? Well, I'll just load up my HA group with 6 warlords and have at it, then.