Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
#300 - Experimental - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALAMAZE (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Active Games (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: #300 - Experimental (/showthread.php?tid=9626)

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 10:17 PM)kevindusi Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 10:05 PM)unclemike Wrote: But I can say that encounters for this game range anywhere from 25 pts to 150 pts depending upon the strength level of the artifact. Only free encounters (dimensional portals, pwr-2 wizard, red bats/pegasi) carry no risks to your figures but you may need to meet certain requirements in order to be successful with them...

150 points?? Well, I'll just load up my HA group with 6 warlords and have at it, then.

Yep but the exact value is random. Every encounter is given a range based upon the strength level of the artifact. Easy artifacts are 25-49 pts, ...etc. Max ceiling rating is 150.0.

RE: #300 - Experimental - Hawk_ - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 10:17 PM)kevindusi Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 10:05 PM)unclemike Wrote: But I can say that encounters for this game range anywhere from 25 pts to 150 pts depending upon the strength level of the artifact. Only free encounters (dimensional portals, pwr-2 wizard, red bats/pegasi) carry no risks to your figures but you may need to meet certain requirements in order to be successful with them...

150 points?? Well, I'll just load up my HA group with 6 warlords and have at it, then.

Maybe the halflings will need to construct a siege engine.

RE: #300 - Experimental - Ry Vor - 12-22-2014

Normally I'd let this go, but since my intention for development is to increase emphasis on unusual encounters and lessen territorial requirements, I'd say, yes, see my previous post about recommended values based on quality of encounter.  It actually might be higher, especially for Quest artifacts.

In Fall of Rome, the unusual sighting combat resolution is by round, but in Alamaze it is the "original" and so us a fairly straight-forward formula such that a tactic 1 is something like -25% to leaders and wizards killed and -25% to death, and -25% to artifact recovery, and the reverse at tactic 3.   Again, the method in Fall of Rome is what we want to incorporate in Alamaze, but what you have now is what it ha always been in Alamaze. 

RE: #300 - Experimental - Jumpingfist - 12-22-2014

When it says using a 101 spell to explore a US is half as effective as the wizard would normally be does that mean 1/2 for 101 and 1/2 again for doing a 101 vs a US for a total of 1/4 value? Or just half the full power? I would guess no body is willing to actually risk a high level wizard so I am trying to figure out what it would reasonably take to get 150 points.
I am the WI and have best troops of any Mage. So would figure they are better that a 1 base maybe 1.25x 12 = 15. I don't see a WI getting a warlord with these death rates and not being able to explore US at the start of the game. So will say 2 marshals and a captain about 35 points I am guessing. So that is 50 point. The rest comes from wizards. Wizards are 5-10 per level based on kingdom. I think WI is the best so 10 per level if I go straight at it. So 10 total power levels if I go straight at it? I am not sure about others but I would never send in my pure Mage wizards except on a 101 so that means 20 levels. Or 2 P7 and a P6.

Is 2 marshals and roughly 3p7 what we should except to send on these high level type encounters?

I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of force would be needed. A kingdom like the GI with reduced death on leaders could get warlords. That is only 75 points plus maybe 30 points for troop and moral. 3 p3 45. For 150?

Are we expected to get smaller artifacts like the wands and weapons first?

RE: #300 - Experimental - Hawk_ - 12-23-2014

(12-22-2014, 11:42 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: When it says using a 101 spell to explore a US is half as effective as the wizard would normally be does that mean 1/2 for 101 and 1/2 again for doing a 101 vs a US for a total of 1/4 value?  Or just half the full power?   I would guess no body is willing to actually risk a high level wizard so I am trying to figure out what it would reasonably take to get 150 points.  
I am the WI and have best troops of any Mage.  So would figure they are better that a 1 base maybe 1.25x 12 = 15.  I don't see a WI getting a warlord with these death rates and not being able to explore US at the start of the game.  So will say 2 marshals and a captain about 35 points I am guessing. So that is 50 point. The rest comes from wizards.  Wizards are 5-10 per level based on kingdom. I think WI is the best so 10 per level if I go straight at it.  So 10 total power levels if I go straight at it?  I am not sure about others but I would never send in my pure Mage wizards except on a 101 so that means 20 levels. Or 2 P7 and a P6.

Is 2 marshals  and roughly 3p7 what we should except to send on these high level type encounters?

I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of force would be needed.  A kingdom like the GI with reduced death on leaders could get warlords.  That is only 75 points plus maybe 30 points for troop and moral.  3 p3 45. For 150?

You also get a morale bonus for a group.  Also you can take option 3 for a +25.

Finally you don't need to exceed the 150 to succeed it just reduces your success rate proportionally if you are less.

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 12-23-2014

(12-22-2014, 11:42 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: When it says using a 101 spell to explore a US is half as effective as the wizard would normally be does that mean 1/2 for 101 and 1/2 again for doing a 101 vs a US for a total of 1/4 value?  Or just half the full power?   I would guess no body is willing to actually risk a high level wizard so I am trying to figure out what it would reasonably take to get 150 points.  
I am the WI and have best troops of any Mage.  So would figure they are better that a 1 base maybe 1.25x 12 = 15.  I don't see a WI getting a warlord with these death rates and not being able to explore US at the start of the game.  So will say 2 marshals and a captain about 35 points I am guessing. So that is 50 point. The rest comes from wizards.  Wizards are 5-10 per level based on kingdom. I think WI is the best so 10 per level if I go straight at it.  So 10 total power levels if I go straight at it?  I am not sure about others but I would never send in my pure Mage wizards except on a 101 so that means 20 levels. Or 2 P7 and a P6.

Is 2 marshals  and roughly 3p7 what we should except to send on these high level type encounters?

I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of force would be needed.  A kingdom like the GI with reduced death on leaders could get warlords.  That is only 75 points plus maybe 30 points for troop and moral.  3 p3 45. For 150?

I did say that 150 is the max ceiling for this game didn't I, not the norm. Not to mention the fact that the game would have to randomly roll the max modifier within the artifact's range to reach that high value back on turn 0 when the encounter ratings were assigned.

Some artifacts like the weapon types factor in the encounter as well. An uneducated guess might be anywhere between +5 to maybe as high as +25 to the group's strength value.

Spell 101 is only a 50% cut and won't reduce your level to 25%. Also, consider that a lich (p7) / wraith (p5) investigate at full level without harm to the wizard (order 139). So a Witchlord p5 wraith is something like 50 pts just by himself. Add another and you have 100 pts. Issue TAC 3 (like people are doing in this game with their low level captains) and you're close to the max ceiling with just two wizards (without any soldiers, morale, leaders, or artifacts thrown in the mix).

So, yes, even the ultimate rating of 150 is possible with a group during the mid-game though the latter stages of the game with a combined approach of the above factors are more than likely for attaining the uber artifacts.

RE: #300 - Experimental - Jumpingfist - 12-23-2014

Thanks. I was wondering about a lich or wraith the encounters seemed magical at times. With a basic ranking as Ry Vor said seems OK you know what your getting into. Having no way to know what you run across while scouting is not good. No way to use HP on a square to know how hard an encounter could be.

RE: #300 - Experimental - Rogal - 12-23-2014

If some one becomes a lich, should or could some empires like the Paladins score VP's for killing them? 

RE: #300 - Experimental - Jumpingfist - 12-23-2014

If a Lich group were wiped out/ failed to retreat would the liches still live in and become patrol? I know regular mages would die with the group.

RE: #300 - Experimental - unclemike - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 01:34 AM)Jumpingfist Wrote: If a Lich group were wiped out/ failed to retreat would the liches still live in and become patrol?  I know regular mages would die with the group.

Once a wizard becomes undead (lich,wraith), they are immune to all damage except the kill leader/wizard spell. So they survive all damage from group vs group, group vs pc, encounters, and agent assassinations. Only the kill spell can take them out.