Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 5583 3rd Qualifier No Unicorns to the SO
Victory By Lion's Share Is The Sorcerer Kingdom!
                           Game End Status Points

Place Kingdom    Player                Results-40  Grand Total

1     SO     Pine Needle               85,789     118,677
          2     GN     Brek                      82,629     111,977
          3     AM     Lord Garth                59,009      89,595
          4     WA     Wookie Panz               39,827      65,425
          5     NO     Lt Gisgo                  31,158      53,193
          6     CI     Rellgar                   15,939      33,774

I took this one by a hair from Brek by holding Stormgate on turn 39-40 when Sir Robin ran away.

Starting in Crown, I just grew and kept my head down for the first 20 turns. The NO left my sea town in his region alone making early war in Sword and maybe Zamora. Similarly, Rellgar's Cimmerians quickly knocked out the HA in Darkover, but didn't continue west, so with warlike NO and CI stopping at my border, and the similarly bookish WA (Wookie) in Triumvia, I really grew unfettered casting tens, dozens, hundreds (?!) of bounty spells, all seemingly successful. I stopped after awhile but my villages were all over 40k food/turn.

With all this peace, my biggest problem was leadership and brigade promotion. I recruited orcs every turn, so numbers were not a problem. I taxed, attacked a town several times but couldn't get many promotions because bad math, but finally got a break when the NO took my town and I invisibled a 3 brigade group over there to get some elites. Probably not that important, in retrospect, as Hill Giants are not as good as Trolls when fear is limited. The SO can summon ghouls and specters, so my Hill Giants really just filled slots.

The NE had taken Stormgate and Zanthia, so I decided to take him on and keep my peaceful borders. Not too difficult, and he dropped a couple turns later. He had built his capital and Stormgate really well, so I was swimming in gold and food for the rest of the game.

I made an attempt for victory at about turn 36 going for Krynn and Zamora, but came up short as Wookie the WA saw it coming.

Just tried to hold on after this, traded a couple of legendaries with WA in Krynn and Triumvia, but had no major group battles. I turn 38 I sent a group to defend Stormgate to go for Lion's share. That turned out to be a good move as Brek's GN made an attempt with two groups. I really thought I was outgunned, but he organized withdrew one group and firewalled the other. I "won" the battle with higher casualties, but neither of us lost any wizards. He bugged out as I teleported my three forged groups there for a mega battle- not to be. Those 5000 status points made the difference (see above) as he must have been buildling as feverishly as me.

Final count- 16 legendary castles, 22 Elite brigades (finally got the promotions going), 7 power 7+ wizards, and 9 great temples. That's a lot of food.

The SO spell list and research costs are so tasty. Everything else (except companion list) is crap, but given time, I don't see a stronger kingdom.

GG all.

Pine covered how the early game went pretty well.  My WA in Triumvia was trying to be a kinder, more gentle and neighborly Warlock. 

There came a point where most of my neighbors had 2 regions and then Windstar in Sword just dropped for no apparent reason and left a big void in the time and space continuum.  It just would not do for any of these neighbors with 2 regions to go for a third while I had one so I went after Sword.  Both NE and NO had the same idea.  NE got the city but stopped there while LT. Gisgo with his NO seemed to want it all.

After a couple of turns of trying to take Sword and fighting Gisgo for pc's there was no reason not to just go all out and fight him in Krynn and Zamora too so we began what would be a game long battle.
I have to admit I underestimated Lt.  and he served me up what was a major and game long setback.  I landed several groups at the city in Zamora where his capital was.   In one turn he took out a p4,5,7, with agents and a p6 with a kill wizard order.  I had started with 10 wizards and was down to 6, the worst one turn wizard loss I have ever had.

We battled back and forth the rest of the game and I seemed to have the upper hand until the Pine Needle guy with SO, the guy I had left alone for the whole game, decided to come in to our party, actually crashing it!  Did I mention he was uninvited?
For the rest of the game it was 2-1 with me being the one and my 6 wizards could not begin to go toe to toe with the big SO groups so I had to hit and run and eventually gave NO lots of slack to try to prevent the UNDERSERVING Mr. Needle from getting a win.  The best I could do was to keep him from getting 5 regions but his immense resource lead let him build to a lion's share win.

To LT. Gisgo I give a tip of the hat and a  well done.  You have earned my respect sir. 
To Pine I give a wet smelly sock for crashing our lovely party and making me fight 1/2 the game with one hand behind my back holding off Gisgo.  May you be forever remembered as a party crasher.  I'm sure I've done it myself which is why nobody loves a Wookie.  Well, there is the odor thing too but we don't talk about that.

underserving is right

I played the CI, starting in Diamond.  Everything was going well, I decided to expand.  I took on the HA, he fought hard, but after I found both his hidden villages,  it was over and he dropped. He about stripped me of my agents and emissaries though. Then I decided to hit the Amazons, he was building up and was closer. I attacked one turn to late, but it would not have mattered. It was like hitting a stone wall. Amazons had several P7 wizards,  every great artifact in the game, plow, both staves, the stone of all minds,, ring of power,, swords, bows, armor, etc.... his hidden town was in the water and had another town on the coast. No way for me to anything but retreat and cower in the north.

Congratulations to Pineneedle,  and good job Brek, you let that one slip away though. Tough break for Wookie, never underestimate your opponent.

I managed to grab the 3rd spot by playing (mostly) a defensive game.

I started with the AM in Nyvaria and had a lot of luck with artifacts early on. Rellgar is right, it felt as if I got, like, all of them. The Staff of the Orator, Staff of Disdain, Ring of Invisibility, the Stone of All Minds, the Plow, and few randos plus a bunch of weapon artifacts, 2 palantirs and 3 rings of protection. Admittedly most of that was just luck but eventually I started chasing artifacts and was entertaining myself immensely in the process ... until the Cimmerians attacked.

Classic story really. Smelly, savage barbarians from the north come down to attack good, decent, civilized peoples of fine repute. Rellgar's CI started in the Diamond Coast and swept through the HA of Darkover and now had arrived in Nyvaria with 4 groups and emissaries. But the AM is better equipped to fight the CI than the HA.

Rellgar's timing couldn't have been worse because I was just in the process of building Legendary Castles by the time he arrived. Twice he landed on a pop of mine just as I dropped a Legendary on it. And he couldn't dispel regional effect or domes. Between that, my armies, agents, and many denigrations by a devout kingdom I had chased him from the region and began to pursue him into Darkover. And it was right around the time that I was taking the region ... that the GN attacked.

Classic story really. Smelly sneaky little wretches from the south attack good, decent, civilized people the second their back is turned. Brek's GN started in Pellinor and fought off the TY attack from the Untamed Lands and wound up with both regions and Mythagar in the process. Now the GN had arrived in Nyvaria with 4 groups and emissaries But this attack didn't last long either.

After a few turns of this despicable sneak attack the GN just pulled out. Maybe he had pressing matters elsewhere. Or, more likely, the GN realized he was out gunned and out classed by a more refined and mighty opponent and fled with his Gnomish Tail between his legs. Yeah, definitely the second one.

One thing the GN attack did was stop me from pursuing the CI into the Diamond Coast. Rellgar wisely defended his water pops well and captured my prince in the process but I never got to launch a full invasion there. When you are fighting two kingdoms there simply isn't enough orders. And after the GN pulled out there wasn't enough time to go into the D. Coast. I ended up with 2 regions and a 3rd place spot which is fine. Congrats to Pine on your victory ... deserved or not, but it looks pretty deserved to me.

Lord Garth

(04-14-2022, 11:39 PM)RELLGAR Wrote: I played the CI, starting in Diamond.  Everything was going well, I decided to expand.  I took on the HA, he fought hard, but after I found both his hidden villages,  it was over and he dropped. He about stripped me of my agents and emissaries though. Then I decided to hit the Amazons, he was building up and was closer. I attacked one turn to late, but it would not have mattered. It was like hitting a stone wall. Amazons had several P7 wizards,  every great artifact in the game, plow, both staves, the stone of all minds,, ring of power,, swords, bows, armor, etc.... his hidden town was in the water and had another town on the coast. No way for me to anything but retreat and cower in the north.

Congratulations to Pineneedle,  and good job Brek, you let that one slip away though. Tough break for Wookie, never underestimate your opponent.
Pineneedle, great Job! - no way in hell was I coming back I figured all your wizrds would be in play the next turn there and I was right.  

I had a slow start with Drogo boxing me in early but once I had some resources I was able to roll him back. Giving me a good base to fight from.
Unfortunately I did not read the latest Maelstrom notes and see GN had siege engines power stripped from them, made a quick take over of Nyveria/AM a train wreak instead, and I hadnt left myself time to take Stormgate because I had hope to take and hold Nyveria for the point win.

Brek,

Is that true? I just read the lastest Maelstrom notes and didn't see anything about the GN losing Siege Engineering. Where did you find that?

So what does "No Unicorns" mean?

Eregnon,

Unicorns are magical creatures that look like horses but have a horn on their head.

They are filthy animals and known cheaters at Alamaze and sometimes we all just want to play a game without involving these vile beasts.