Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#138 - First Exploratory Steel
Underworld can be reached at maelman57@gmail.com

Everyone in the First Exploratory Steel should have their kingdom dossiers and initial setup (turn 0).

Let's hear from the players how this changes both early strategy, diplomacy, and tactics (orders given).

As a reminder, no one starts with a High Priestess, no one can hire a HP until turn 4 at the earliest, other characters like Consuls cannot issue HP orders until T4.

As in other games with self-enforcing variants, any misstep will result in the loss of 1 point of influence as well as the order failing and gold and the 0.5 influence consumed - so you'd lose 1.5 influence if you accidentally try to hire a HP before Turn 4.

Well, first there's the obvious - group movement will be the primary way most PC's are found in the early turns. Advantage to kingdoms with good movement point costs.

As a result, initial PC placement will mean a lot especially for those kingdoms trying to secure a contested region - if your 2 group starts on the other side of the neighboring region, you might have difficulty finding the right PC's.

#720 vs #725 - do you want to stop at a PC and gamble that it's neutral and that you can take it right away or do you want to cover as much ground as possible, revealing PC's for your emissaries to investigate?

Agent-4's become much more important in the early turns than before and if you don't start with one, you need to train that Agent-3 on turn 1. The #976 helps you fill in the gaps or search awkward areas.

Send detachment - seriously, do it. You need to cover ground and even if it's just a patrol, your 4 group can do more for you just cruising around than would normally be so.

Knowledge of which kingdoms have PCs in your starting region and using diplomacy to learn their locations will be even more helpful in plotting your course or avoiding a useless #725 bump. Disadvantage to players who've never played in their home region before or those less skilled at the communication part of the game.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Anyone else?

Cloud

Hi all,
The Wizardly Warlock bids all to parlay at guy_freitag@yahoo.com.
As I am new to the game, any hints and strategy tips will be appreciated.

Bash Grimtooth speaks.

The Sorcerer may be "seen" at rghan03@gmail.com.
Lord Thanatos

(UN) I find the new format of no priestess interesting. As a kingdom that starts very spread out, but also requires no region per say to start. This format opens up another opertunaty for the UN to negotiate using the mass number of agents that could scout for towns or artifacts early as leverage. Instead of the standard give me PCs for "protection." I can be a helpful nice Underworld. I do wonder if this helping out will delay my agent development in the long run.

I think dual kingdom regions like An/TR, WA/GI and RA/SO may even have an advantage in this format over some of the single region kingdoms like EL or DW. They could put together some good starting plans to take control early and possible expand quickly before the single region kingdoms can fully secure their region. Will be interesting to see.

(RA) Definitely a different dynamic. Sharing a region does help cover the squares faster, but remember we also have to find every pop center because we have to share the region (or fight).
Turn results for Turn 1 are all about how many pop centers did we find and who showed up at our cities.
Looking forward to kicking this one off.

Ok, 2:46 p.m. and Turn 1 has arrived.
I covered a bunch of squares and it seems I did about average in finding towns and villages. Now I have a Level 4, so he can help cover multiple squares to explore the region. I actually don't think this format will slow down people taking regions.
It will slow down artifact hunting. The Ancient Ones bought the first seat for 24,710 and did not forget to put up an issue.
I did contact most of my neighbors and worked out exploration deals or at least pop center protection for a few turns.
Not a fan of mega-alliances, so not really working too many deals right off the bat. I did hear a rumor that the whole west side of the board is forming such a mega-alliance. That's a shame.

(04-24-2014, 02:35 PM)Hamlet Wrote: Definitely a different dynamic. Sharing a region does help cover the squares faster, but remember we also have to find every pop center because we have to share the region (or fight).
Turn results for Turn 1 are all about how many pop centers did we find and who showed up at our cities.

I covered a bunch of squares and it seems I did about average in finding towns and villages. Now I have a Level 4, so he can help cover multiple squares to explore the region. I actually don't think this format will slow down people taking regions.
It will slow down artifact hunting. The Ancient Ones bought the first seat for 24,710 and did not forget to put up an issue.
I did contact most of my neighbors and worked out exploration deals or at least pop center protection for a few turns.
Not a fan of mega-alliances, so not really working too many deals right off the bat. I did hear a rumor that the whole west side of the board is forming such a mega-alliance. That's a shame.

I wonder what kingdom you play? Not in the west, I gather.

I have been given the keys to the Unseen Sorcerer position. Have your wizards contact my wizards at topalchemist@yahoo.com. Yes, I did get the first turn in, and it was quite fulfilling. Nothing to see here, move along, move along....

(04-24-2014, 02:35 PM)Hamlet Wrote: (RA) Definitely a different dynamic. Sharing a region does help cover the squares faster, but remember we also have to find every pop center because we have to share the region (or fight).

If the west is forming up into a huge alliance... nobody let this poor Elf know.
-The Deliverer